Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gooping It Up

I have a shameful confession. I can't decide if it's worse than that time that I made a picture of Megan Fox my desktop background after deciding that, actually, she was awesome in Jennifer's Body and I thereafter forgave her for saying the most ridiculous things ever. Actually, nothing is that shameful. Anyway.

So, um, I've been reading Gwyneth Paltrow's newsletter, GOOP, which I have previously scoffed at on more than one occasion. It started innocently enough: I was at work one day and I came across this article in which one person attempted to live according to GOOP for 30 days, including the crazy detox, and then I found another similar article and another and I was really bored so I just kept reading and eventually I just decided to go directly to the source. And I liked it, so much so that it is now delivered to my inbox at semi-regular intervals and I get all excited about it, much like I get excited about facebook notifications or actual emails written by friends rather than listserves.

And now that I've admitted that...it certainly is rather silly, like the issue in which she suggested Christmas presents and included things like an Hermes watch "for her" and a Mulberry weekend bag "for him." So, yes, it may be totally frivilous on occasion, because who but a celebrity jets off to Morocco for the weekend and then writes about it as though us normal folk will someday think "Hey, I'm feeling restless. Lemme check out what Gwyneth has to say about Morocco while I'm packing for a little jaunt"? Hint: the answer is no one. But! It's also like getting this sort of goofy advice from your somewhat flaky but incredibly well-meaning friend who really wants you to have fun in Morocco and thinks that you deserve an Hermes watch for Christmas. And on occasion, there are some bits that normal people without rockstar husbands and an Oscar can use, like her playlists for a spring party compiled by various celebrities and the reading lists that she occasionally writes up. Most recently, there was an issue devoted to recipes and an interview with Jaime Oliver (think whatever you like of his show - I haven't watched it - but he can still cook) that has really easy recipes for different salad dressings and a Moroccan stewed fish recipe that I made just the other day that came out great.

See? Yummy. And, even though I am nearly incapable of taking good pictures of my food, it mostly looks like it's supposed to. Plus, it only took about 20 minutes, including shrimp peeling, which is always a plus in my book. Boyfriend and I were both pleased with the result, and though he initially smirked a bit at the source, the next night he asked if we were going to have more of "that actress's salad dressing."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header Image by Colorpiano Illustration