Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Kind Experiment

I checked Alicia Silverstone's vegan mission statement/cookbook The Kind Diet out of the library the other day, and I'm a little smitten. I mean, I've been a little smitten since Clueless. Who didn't love the "virgin who can't drive" (and if you didn't, please don't tell me, because I want us to be friends). I mean, seriously, it makes me wish that we were friends and could hang out eating non-dairy desserts and having wine and petting her dogs, 'cause she is kind of hilarious.

So, generally I think that vegans are crazy, and generally I'm kind of vocal about it. I mean, I am mostly vegetarian, but vegans are a little nuts, right? I love cheese. Love. I would marry a wheel of Brie and I think that boyfriend wouldn't even be jealous. And I love eating out.* Sometimes there is nothing better than having someone else prepare your food, serve it to you, and then clean up the dishes, all the while being very nice, even if it's only for tips. You can't really eat out if you're vegan. Unless it's a vegan restaurant, and how many of your friends do think are going to be excited about that?

Anyway, so I got this book and now I have a 3-page list of ingredients for vegan meals, and a menu that would last at least two weeks. Now, I'm going to pare down the list, because my budget does not include things like plums that cost $17 for 7 ounces and three different kinds of organic sweetener and $20 flake cereal (I am serious, y'all. Serious. Those flakes had better do your laundry and make out with you too). But, I do want to try it for a week. Just one week, and see how it feels. I imagine it'll feel like I'm cooking a lot, but if it makes me half as glowy and happy looking as Ms. Silverstone looks with her cute husband and her dogs, I am ALL for it. Or even if I'm just a little less tired, and a little more relaxed, and a little bit healthier. I promise to let you know how it goes.

*Heh. Hehehehe. I am a 12-year-old, apparently. I cannot type the phrase "eat out" without giggling just a little. I sigh deeply at my own behavior.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header Image by Colorpiano Illustration